Sunday, November 2, 2008

Babylicious

After 2 failed attempts at trying to blog, I was certain I never needed the help of blogspot again. I have a thing for wordplay and good english. It's soul-inspiring how words can come out so wonderfully formed. And so I thought since writing was not my cup of tea, I'll just be happy feeding my soul with brilliant blogs. But a recently rekindled dream got me inspired. So here I am again, with a simple agenda - to record my journey from stove to stomach.

2 sundays ago, my extended family celebrated my little sister's 21st birthday. Mummy and I took on the task of feeding the multitudes. While mummy was busy flipping all her cookbooks to come up with a menu, I did a little something of my own to make the dinner table a little more celebratory.


Everyone who came by took a little time trying to figure out what it read.
Then my 2nd aunt said: "Is this a rabbit with a mortar board??"
I applaud her creativity! Well, my sister was indeed born in the year of a rabbit. It spells BABY, a name we affectionately call my sister cos she's the youngest on my mum's side. But if you look from the vertical view, it really does look a little like what she said.

A week before the big day, mummy and I went to sia huat, hoping to get some pretty dishware. And we came home with some proud buys! Got a porcelain trio bowl for dips that has a little handle in the middle, 12 porcelain spoons with their arms like hooks so you carry them like cups and little black triangular plates for bite size items, which I absolutely adore. Thanks to the great additions we got, our little buffet line got its professional status. It's one of the most extensive displays I've ever done though.

That's a full 2 days of preparation work!
For those of you who know me, I'm blessed with not just a mum who can cook, but also 3 amazing aunts who can cook up a storm anytime anywhere. So with 4 chefs and a food lover in the kitchen, this is what you get! The menu mummy came up with - a full 21 course dinner. Yes, twenty one...

Well, as you can see, when it comes to food gatherings in my family, there's never lack. It usually feeds twice the number of people and there's never just 3 dishes and a soup. And recipes are seldom repeated with a few exceptions of those on the popular list.
The baby of the night.


The cake's homemade too, by my 3rd aunt!

Haha, it kinda looks more like a wedding decor than a birthday one, especially the red roses. But i think my sister enjoyed herself, which makes everything worthwhile.
Stay tune for the full menu and recipes!

No comments: