Thursday, November 13, 2008

TOTALLY Chocolate Cookies

I did a little something I usually wouldn't crave to do. I baked! I'm more of a cook than a baker, simply because cooking allows more creativity, flexibility and freedom. I love to splash a little of this, sprinkle a little of that and be extremely proud of my creation. Unfortunately, I can't say that of my baking. What comes out of the oven usually differs greatly from my expectations. But my hands were itching to mix and blend, so I decided to give baking another shot, but did something simpler and fail proof.

I am a great fan of Nigella Lawson. Hailed as the domestic goddess, her cooking shows, Nigella Express & Nigella Bites are currently aired on Travel & Living. There is something about watching her cook and listening to how she describes french toast batter as glorious golden goo. She has no qualms about eating off her fingers on national TV and gives no apologies for taking huge greedy bites off her toast. I just love her shows.


So there she was baking these TOTALLY chocolate cookies which I couldn't resist not making, even though I'm not a fan of chocolate. I had to bake them.


Gorgeous Giant Balls of Chocolatey Goo ready for baking

Into the oven it goes, ready to be eaten within minutes!

Piping hot from the oven, it actually taste better than it looks. They actually sat in the oven for a full ONE hour...

The 2nd batch of cookies where I reduced the baking time by almost half. Even I can bake them, see how fail-proof they are!



TOTALLY Chocolate Cookies


yields 12 big cookies

250g dark chocolate
150g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
1tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g unsalted butter
75g soft light brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg
2 whole packets of chocolate chips


Melt the dark chocolate over a hot water bath and leave it to cool.

Into the blender goes the unslated butter, light brown sugar, caster sugar at low speed. Once thoroughly mixed, add the vanilla extract.

Add the melted dark chocolate, followed by the egg (directly from the fridge so that it's still cold). Mix in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, bicarb, salt) till thoroughly combined.

Take off the blender, stir in 2 packets of chocolate chips and walah!

Using an ice cream scoop, place 6 scoops of the cookie batter onto a tray and pop it into the oven at 170 degree celcius for a full hour.


It's extremely chocolatey and would satisfy any chocolate lover, but not too sweet cos of the dark chocolate. If I were to bake it again, I'll probably try it in small dollops of bite size.

No comments: