Monday, December 15, 2008

Met up my uni mates for lunch! To think we could gather a crowd of 4 on a weekday lunch at Vivo! These are the first people I met when I first stepped into SMU and they made OBS and school really really fun. Just writing this brought back so many memories of our "funnest" project presentations during our first year in school.

Well, the reason for lunch was cos Shanise will be heading to London for work and we're trying to catch her one more time before she flies. Lunch was at one of my favourite places - Sushi Tei. I personally think it's one of the few places that serve good japanese food at affordable prices. It's a by default place if I can't think of anywhere to go.

The beginning of a very long lunch.

Cheryl had the steak sushi. If you haven't tried this before, order it! The beef is tender and the mushroom is tasty.

Mango King - the love of my life.
Deep Fried King Prawns with Jap Rice and a layer of Sweet Mango topped with Ebiko

Cha Soba with Salmon.
The noodles are springy and cooked to my liking. Perfect for a hot weather.

Then we decided to head elsewhere for dessert and coffee and came across this beautiful cafe.

Check out the menu. It's so english cottage-y.

The shelves of pastries and cakes.I'm attracted to all things beautiful.

Look at the teapot, doesn't it make tea-drinking so much happier?
As much as the place was gorgeous, the desserts were a big letdown. A pity I think.

The following day, I had my first student!
Mission: To recreate the bacon quiche I learnt in Palate

Well, I gathered that since I did the quiche myself during class, recreating it shouldn't be a problem at all. Even though I've had some "interesting" experiences with baking, I was fairly confident that nothing could go wrong.

By the time we made our dough and tried rolling it, my confident slowly crept away. What was suppose to be a crunchy tasty tart base turned out to be flaky compressed piece of flour. Yet another "interesting" experience added to my world of baking.

Even though the tart base wasn't something to look forward to, we were comforted by the toppings that went in.

My excited student - Rachel.

Mushroom and Ham Quiche

Bacon and Asparagus Quiche



Though we can't make it tasty, the least we could do was to make it gorgeous.

Oh! I received my first birthday present. An early surprise from Mingzhen and Cherry - a fuschia pink silicon oven mitten. It sure did brightened my day :)

Just in time to replace my tired and burnt out cloth mittens.
That's one more reason to master baking.

No comments: