Monday, November 24, 2008

Power Week

Last week was probably one of the most eventful week I've had in a long long time. Asia Conference was just phenomenal. The message wasn't particularly one that we've never heard of before but it clicked this time. One person can make a difference. The power of one isn't just for the intelligent or talented, but simply for the willing. As long as you're willing to give, your love and giving goes a long way.

Well, I hope this blog's been giving you an appetite! I had a blast last Saturday with 2 back to back sessions of non-stop aroma! Mummy and 1st aunt have been attending a number of Chef Eric Low's cooking classes and everytime they never fail to give praises. Also known as Chef Yong, he gives demo classes at community centres on particular weekday nights and weekends, empowering the regular women and housewives to create restaurant-salivating dishes at the comfort of their own homes. What he says of his profession: He Cooks, Hosts, Educates and Feeds people about food, ie. CHEF.

And so, I finally signed up for one of his classes at Cairnhill, though a little apprehensive about what to expect, but I must say, I enjoyed myself! Though it wasn't hands on, but I thought it was sufficient for me to duplicate it at home. The good thing about going for classes as opposed to just reading a recipe off a cookbook, is that you get to see the cooking process. It's crucial as most cookbooks omit little but key steps that transform your dish from being just ordinary to spectacular.

Menu:

Baba Ghanoush on Toast with Fresh Prawns

Osso Bucco

Molten Lava Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

Chef Yong at work.

The key ingredient to Baba Ghanoush. These shrivelled up, mushy looking giants will probably not attract you, but I simply love the taste of it.

Baba Ghanoush on Toast with Fresh Prawns

Most of us are familiar with Hummus when it comes to Middle Eastern dips, but its cousin, Baba Ghanoush is an equally popular appetizer and dip in the Middle East too! You could serve alongside pita bread, raw vegetable sticks and even use it as a sandwich spread. I thought the garlic was a little overpowering though, would have enjoyed it more if it tasted more of eggplant. To give it a more vibrant colour, you could replace the prawns with tiger prawns, which has a beautiful deep orange colour and a firmer texture, which also helps to balance out the goo-iness of the Baba Ghanoush.

Osso Bucco

This is an Italian dish that traditionally uses veal shanks because of the long simmering time. The one we had was replaced with pork ribs because of the time factor. I think I would love an oxtail version. Served on a bed of spinach and chickpeas, finished off with a sprinkle of parsley and lemon zest.

Molten Lava Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

This is a fail proof dessert. IF you manage to do it successfully, you serve it as molten lava chocolate cake, but if you miss it by a minute or two, you can serve it as chocolate pudding, but if you happen to need the toilet halfway through baking and overbakes it, you've just made for your guests some chocolate brownies.

Just when you think that's mouth-watering enough for the day.... I had part 2 of the day! As you can imagine, after a long week of chiong-ing in Asia Conference, I was sleep deprived and a little groggy when I went for lesson. But it was the most enjoyable class I've had so far! Probably cos everyone's getting to know each other, and my cooking buddies are the funnest people around!

Menu:

Braised Chicken in Red Wine with Mushrooms

Mashed Potatoes

Quiche Lorraine

Our pot of braised chicken in red wine bubbling away. I'm not really a fan of chicken (it's actually at the bottom of my list of favourite meats), so I wasn't particularly excited about this. But the red wine sauce was flavourful and really tasty. I would consider substituing the chicken with veal or beef shanks.

As you can see, I was the only one not paying attention...

Our tarts undergoing the test of heat. Can you what's sitting inside our tarts? It's bags of baking beans that helps to prevent our tart base from rising and keeps it flat. Brilliant. In case you think what a waste, the beans are reused.

Finally, our tarts are filled with bacon and cream then topped with parmesan cheese.

All ready for devouring.

Not bad for a first timer eh. Daddy said it was good, which is a rare compliment.

No comments: